Tips for Parents
1. Go over your child’s assignment sheet with your child as soon after the lesson as possible.
a. How many stars did they get on their last lesson? This is a black and white report card every week. Please take the time to go over it with your child!
b. Did they receive a Practice Buddy Ticket? Plan practice time for the coming week.
c. Are there any specific notes or comments?
2. Do spot checks on practicing.
a. Younger children – sit with them the first 2 or 3 days atleast. Make sure they are counting aloud and doing each piece 3-5x in a row. They may not get to every song every day at the first of the week. They should be able to play everything 3x by the end of the week.
b. Older children – ask for specific items from assignment sheet on days 3 and 5.
3. Listen for counting aloud.
4. Are they following the plan?
a. Are the practice sections marked?
b. Are they working on only the pre-determined section Hands Separate and then Hands Together at a slow tempo until they can do it 5 x correct?
c. Are they “hooking” all the learned sections together 5x?
5. Use the At Home Book(Alfred Premier)! Play along with the CD or disc as directed.
6. Are they having fun! You have fun doing things you are good at….You get good by doing them over and over. Not having fun? Practice more! Include new things AND always include Old Favorites.